Although many of the early “flu-like” symptoms of COVID-19 and Lyme disease are similar, there are important differences that can help distinguish the acute presentations of these infections.
Similar Flu-Like Symptoms:
- Body/muscle aches and pains
Signs and symptoms present in acute Lyme Disease but not typical in acute COVID-19:
- Large expanding red round rash
- Neck and joint pain
Signs and symptoms present in acute COVID-19 but not typical in acute Lyme Disease:
- Respiratory issues
- Dry cough
- Shortness of Breath
- Pain of pressure in the chest
- Trouble breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
- Digestive issues like vomiting or diarrhea
- Nasal congestion
- Bluish lips or face
- Diffuse rash or “COVID toes” that look similar to frost bite
Not everyone with acute Lyme Disease or COVID-19 will get a rash, but when it’s present a rash can be an important distinguishing feature for aiding early diagnosis.
Suspicious Rash or Flu-Like Symptoms?